A common expectation of homeowners is that the components and systems in their homes work when they need them. Periodic home maintenance is just as important in making this happen as is having a trusted service provider to make repairs when those systems fail.
Victims of Murphy’s Law can attest that their air conditioner goes out on the hottest day of the year or the water heater fails when they have out of town visitors.
Maintaining your home’s systems will help you avoid expensive repairs, replacement and damage. It can also help keep your home safe.
- Replace burned-out, dim or missing bulbs in light fixtures and lamps. Consider switching to LED or flourescent bulbs.
- Dryer exhaust vents build up lint and need to be cleaned even though you may be cleaning the filter regularly.
- Fire extinguishers need to be recharged or replaced after the expiration date.
- Establish a recurring appointment on your calendar to change filters in your HVAC.
- Replace missing or damaged caulk around sinks, bathtubs, showers, windows and other areas.
- Clean gutters.
- Schedule an inspection with a pest control company a minimum of once a year to check for termites and dry rot.
- Schedule a chimney cleaning prior to using the fireplace for the first time in the season.
- Keep all tree branches and shrubs trimmed away from the home.
- Pressure wash exterior, deck, patio, sidewalks and driveway.
- Keep levels of insulation in the attic above your ceiling joists.
- Schedule a roof inspection to check for debris, damage, water issues or wear.
- Check appliances with water lines for leaks or worn hoses.
• ice maker • washing machine • dishwasher • others
- Test all GFI breakers and reset.
- Inspect all electrical outlets for broken receptacles, fire hazards or loose fitting plugs.
- Have furnace and air conditioner serviced annually.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and change batteries.
Early fall is a great time to take care of these items. If you need a service provider or have someone to recommend, please let me know. I have a list of reputable providers and am always looking for more.